A growing area of concern affecting the youth in Singapore is the prevalence of early sexual experimentation and an increasing incidence of Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs). In order to help break this trend, HOPE worldwide (Singapore) has been actively promoting healthy relationship skills. Since 2008, our Positive Choice Programme has been an approved sexuality education programme by the Ministry of Education (MOE) for Junior Colleges and, beginning in 2013, for Upper Secondary school students.
Since its inception in 2007, nearly 2,000 students have completed the Positive Choice Programme. Well received by youth organizations and youths alike, Positive Choice has empowered our youth to think more about the long-term consequences of the choices they make.
The Positive Choice Curriculum is a four-module abstinence-until-marriage program designed to increase knowledge of the health risks associated with engaging in sexual activities outside of marriage. The focus is on creating awareness and imparting the skills youth need to be able to move forward in life and achieve their goals. Each session is presented in a dynamic and interactive format with an accompanying manual and DVD.
The programme is available in 2 versions: (1) Upper Secondary level & (2) JC and Tertiary level.
The Curriculum consists of four modules of 90 minutes each. Each module can be used individually, but it is recommended that they be used as a series in order to fully benefit from the programme.
- Module 1: Getting To Know You and Making Positive Choices
• Making Positive Choices in order to reach a “North Star”, personal goals and dreams.
• The importance of creating boundaries called “Unshakeable Unbreakables”.
• The importance of finding a “Dream Team,” two or three others who will support the participant’s efforts.
- Module 2: STIs and Pregnancy Outside of Marriage: How to Avoid the Risk
• Increasing knowledge on the harmful consequences of premature sexual activity, STIs and pregnancy outside of marriage.
• Information of the types and symptoms of STIs as well as the best way to ensure protection – abstinence-until-marriage.
- Module 3: Abstinence-Until-Marriage: Why Wait
• How attitudes and beliefs about abstinence can influence sexual behaviour and risk-taking behaviour.
• Positive consequences of having sex within the boundaries of marriage.
• Exploration of barriers to practicing abstinence-until-marriage, such as sexual messages in the media and peer pressure, and solutions to overcome such barriers.
• Increasing confidence and skills through a three-step strategy for refusing sexual advances and other risky behaviours. Participants practice the three-step strategy by developing “come-backs” in response to pressuring statements.
- Module 4: Making a Commitment to Abstinence
Module 4 key concepts:
• In-depth discussion on one of the most difficult but important parts of practicing abstinence-until-marriage: making a commitment and standing by it.
• Reinforcement of all the information and skills that were learned in previous sessions through the use of an interactive review game.
• Lastly, the module allows participants to bring closure to the group process and build a commitment to abstinence-until-marriage through the use of a “Letter Regarding Positive Choices”.
HOPE worldwide (Singapore) is actively looking for organizations to run the Positive Choice Programme.
Interested groups can contact Ms Vida Ortiz at 63129671(o) or email: firstname.lastname@example.org